The best negotiator I knew always acted like an idiot. He acted so well that I thought he was really stupid. I also thought at the time that he was my best friend.
That was probably an act also. Just two years later he stopped talking to me forever.
I ran into him in the street the other day. He smiled and shook my hand. I felt warm, like he liked me again. Then he was gone.
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
Posted by James Altucher on March 9th, 2015 at 9:32 am. Post Comments: 0
Ugh, then there are those times when I feel dead inside. I wake up early and swing on the pre-school swingset like a pervert.
The sun rises and instead of being orange and blue and beautiful it’s white and glaring and it’s a terrible terrible sunrise, burning everything inside of me.
This is what happens to me when change is being born. At least for me: I’ve never avoided any of these steps.
A) SOMETHING’S MISSING
DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
Posted by James Altucher on March 4th, 2015 at 10:41 am. Post Comments: 0
The car started to skid and swerve and we couldn’t stop. It was all my fault.
I had sped up while going into a sharp curve. I was just fooling around. The entire road was ice. My 12 year old kid was sitting next to me.
Why did I do that? I don’t know. Because I’m an idiot sometimes. I hope all people are idiots sometimes so I don’t have to feel so bad but maybe it’s just me.
When we couldn’t stop the car from skidding Mollie started screaming. We went into a snow drift and kept going.
10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
Posted by James Altucher on February 25th, 2015 at 2:36 pm. Post Comments: 0The other day I went out at night and fell asleep on a park bench near the beach in Miami.
When I opened my eyes I pretended I had just landed on the world. I knew nothing. Now I had to learn everything.
That’s the way I should’ve been when I was younger. Maybe I would’ve avoided many problems if I just realized I knew nothing.
ALL SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE started off knowing nothing.
They studied the people who came before them. Who studied the people who came before them. And so on.
What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
Posted by James Altucher on February 9th, 2015 at 8:24 am. Post Comments: 0
I had a tape recorder and I was trying to tape a phone conversation with US Senator Bill Bradley by having one phone off the hook in another room and having an old-fashioned tape recorder right next to it.
I faked being sick that day. (“I threw up in my throat but swallowed it back down”) so my parents let me stay home. It was 1980 and I was 12 years old.
Then I psycho-called Bill Bradley, the US Senator from New Jersey, formerly an NBA Hall of Fame basketball player, and much later a candidate for President.
“He’s in a meeting,” the secretary always said. I said I was calling to interview him for a newspaper and that I would call back. So I called all day but they never put me through.
Then around 2pm, Bill Bradley called. The first thing he said was, “Aren’t you supposed to be in school?”
And I told him they had given us the day off. So I started the interview off by lying to Bill Bradley. Then we spoke for a half hour or so.
I don’t really remember it although I’m sure one of my questions was the brilliant and insightful “Do you like being a senator?” My interview style still hasn’t changed much.
I did a lot of interviews that year. I called people all day long every day. I’m grateful to all the people who took the time to call a 12 year old with a tape recorder.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life