Archive for January, 2011
How to Use Shock and Awe to Create a Viral Video
Posted by James Altucher on January 31st, 2011 at 10:26 pm, Comments: 0
First there was Paris Hilton. Then Kim Kardashian. Then…Little Superstar, with 16mm views – the most popular viral video to come out of India. Today is my last day here and I’m pretty sad to be leaving. Although tomorrow night I’m DEFINITELY going to be eating as much sushi and meat as I can get my hands on. And I’m going to drink water from the faucet and maybe even take a bath.
Some of the trip has been fairly intense. Overall, India is a completely different world than the US. So I had to ask the question, how did a video like Little Superstar get viral? And can the success be repeated? (see below the related posts).
8 Alternatives to College
Posted by James Altucher on January 30th, 2011 at 8:57 pm, Comments: 0
When I was 19 I won some money in a chess tournament. So instead of using that money for my college tuition I decided to drop out of college and buy a car. I bought a used 1982 Honda Accord. I drove it around for a few hours since they let me drive it right out of the lot. But when I saw my girlfriend and everyone else taking their classes I got a little jealous. I returned the car and cancelled the check and entered my sophomore year of college. But I regret it now.
10 More Reasons Why Parents Should Not Send Their Kids to College
Posted by James Altucher on January 30th, 2011 at 8:56 pm, Comments: 0
OK, enough is enough. In 2006 I wrote an article for The Financial Times on why I won’t send my kids to college. I’ve written, more or less, the same article for several publications including AOL, Yahoo, one of my last books (I forget which one) and the Washington Post wrote an article on my opinions on the subject.
Is Satan a Good Investor
Posted by James Altucher on January 28th, 2011 at 6:59 pm, Comments: 0
First night of sleepaway camp I woke up around 4 in the morning and the bed was completely soaked. I had wet the bed. I was 12 years old and the 10 other beds in the bunk had my friends in them. I would be shamed and embarrassed forever if they found out. My bed smelled like urine. My pajamas smelled like urine. The situation was not good.
Why would God put me in a horrible situation like this? Wasn’t I trying to be a good kid? Why would God do this to me? But then again, I might be an idiot when it comes to the Bible. Or at least, thats what several people are telling me on my post, Was Jesus a Geek?
How Being a Sore Loser can make you Rich (or crazy)
Posted by James Altucher on January 27th, 2011 at 7:24 pm, Comments: 0
I threw all the pieces on the floor. I’m almost embarassed to tell you this. When someone says to you, “I was playing a game of chess and I lost and I threw all the pieces on the floor,” you might think: ok, he was four years old. Thats cute. But I was 17. I was shaving. The other guy had just captured my queen so I did what any 17 year old shaver would do in the middle of a match of North Brunswick High School versus Matewan High School: I threw all the pieces on the floor and ran out of the school.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”