Archive for April, 2011
Don Graham is a Punk
Posted by James Altucher on April 24th, 2011 at 9:51 am, Comments: 0
Don Graham is a punk. I don’t care if he’s the publisher of the Washington Post. We’ve never spoken to each other. Ever. But we’ve now played hundreds of games of Word Twist on Facebook and I can’t seem to pull ahead of him. Heck, he might even be beating me. That’s intolerable. I know he hasn’t had an easy life. And he’s worked hard. But he’s publisher of the Washington Post and I’m a nobody. I’m well read. I’m great at Scrabble. Can’t I at least beat him at Word Twist? Its just a dumb game on Facebook.
105,633 unread emails.
Posted by James Altucher on April 22nd, 2011 at 11:44 am, Comments: 0
Dan said to me, go to your Gmail and look at the number that’s to the right of the word “Inbox”. What does it say?
I took a look. 105,591.
Dan said, That’s the number of unread email messages you have. Not even spam messages, which goes in another folder. That’s the emails you’ve gotten from people that you actually know AND that you haven’t even opened up and read.
I already knew this. I carry that number with me everywhere, like a weight on my back.
Didn’t they realize I was on NATIONAL TV?
Posted by James Altucher on April 21st, 2011 at 8:12 am, Comments: 0
I was instant messaging yesterday afternoon with Andy Monfried. Andy is the CEO and Founder of an online advertising company called Lotame. Before that he was one of the first employees at Advertising.com which sold to AOL for hundreds of millions. Before that, we were usually on the same softball team at Camp Lake-Vu when we were ten years old.
He’s more ambitious than me. He filled me in on all the things Lotame was up to and all the things he had done that day. He was working harder than I could even conceive of. I said to him, “you could easily make over a hundred million dollars on Lotame.” My problem is I always look for shortcuts. I can’t imagine working that hard anymore.
Stop Bullshitting Yourself
Posted by James Altucher on April 20th, 2011 at 7:28 am, Comments: 0
I woke up at about 4am, made coffee, and read stories by Miranda July, Charles Bukowski (from his book “Hot Water Music”) Nora Ephron (from her book “I remember nothing”) and half a story from John Updike before I was ready to start my own writing for the morning. It was 4:47am when I got an instant message on Facebook. “Hi James. Can I just get one piece of advice from you”. I didn’t recognize his name. “Ildar” something.
How I Disappointed Tupac’s Mom
Posted by James Altucher on April 19th, 2011 at 6:50 am, Comments: 0
I really disappointed Tupac’s mom. Although, to be honest, it was her manager. She wanted to do an enhanced CD of Tupac’s unreleased songs. I don’t know what it was with Tupac. People kept shooting at him. First, one of his testicles got shot off. Then someone finally got to him and killed him.
Rappers don’t really shoot at each other anymore. Back then, there was some idea that people who sang songs and played music were at war with each other. East versus West.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader
- OK. One Quote from Robin Williams