Archive for May, 2011
Most Things Don’t Work Out
Posted by James Altucher on May 30th, 2011 at 7:47 pm, Comments: 0
When I was in college I started a business called College Card. It was 1987. Hedge fund manager (then Morgan Stanley chief strategist) Barton Biggs invested $30,000. It was combined with a delivery business. I delivered everything from pizza to gyros. College Card was a debit card that offered discounts to every store that accepted our card. The movie theater in town used to be a beautiful opera house. They offered a 75% discount to anyone using a college card. They made most of their money on the popcorn. College Card lasted for a semester. It didn’t work out.
The Nine Ways to Guarantee Success
Posted by James Altucher on May 26th, 2011 at 8:51 pm, Comments: 0
I really blew it and everyone knows it. I’ve even spoken at conferences on Failure. I might’ve even deluded myself into thinking I was the keynote speaker. By the way, my favorite technique in public speaking is to slightly slur my words but that’s another post.
I’m like Dr. Failure. I know exactly what you need to do if you want your wife to hate you, if you want to get thrown out of school, if you want to lose your investors $100 million. If you want to lose your home, and so on.
Yasser Arafat’s $2mm and My Upcoming Comic Book
Posted by James Altucher on May 26th, 2011 at 10:52 am, Comments: 0
In January I wrote one of my favorite posts on this site:
In December I have a comic book coming out based on this blog (Round Table Comics is the publisher.
Here’s a page they just showed me from that particular blog post above. I pushed them to make me look better in the comic than I do in real life. Here’s a rough version of the page:
When I Wanted to Run Away
Posted by James Altucher on May 25th, 2011 at 6:11 pm, Comments: 0
I was about eleven years old and I was on the phone with the woman from the Runaway Hotline. We both sort of stood there on the line while she was waiting for a “counselor” to get on the phone with me. “Is there something specific you want to talk about?” she asked.
“No,” I said. And I wondered what I should’ve said. Were other kids being beaten? Is that why they run away? Was I supposed to be sexually abused or something? And then the other guy got on the phone. “Hello?” I hung up.
Posted by James Altucher on May 24th, 2011 at 8:00 pm, Comments: 0
That’s my phone number and has been for the past eight years and will be presumably, for the next eighty. Until they make the Google Chip for my brain. Initially it lived inside a blackberry. I vaguely remember ordering it online from a company that sold blackberries to deaf people. I’m not deaf.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?