Archive for September, 2011
Claudia’s Lyme Disease is No Fun
Posted by James Altucher on September 23rd, 2011 at 2:42 pm, Comments: 0
In a few minutes, Claudia will collapse. It’s making me sad. Her normal schedule is to wake up around 4:30-5am, read with me for awhile, and then begin her yoga routine which could last from 2-3 hours. But for the past six weeks she has not done yoga. For the first time in ten years.
She still wakes up the same every day. Full of energy. You wouldn’t know she was sick. Too much energy for me. C’mon! she says, the coffee machine is on. And she’d be talking, laughing, getting me to talk, and we’d have our coffee and read and chat about what we’re reading
How to Cure Stress Before it Kills You
Posted by James Altucher on September 22nd, 2011 at 3:27 pm, Comments: 0
I was in therapy and my therapist said, “so what happens when you make a zillion dollars? You’ll find something else to be stressed about.” And I said, “No way. If I had a zillion, I would just sit around all day and not be stressed.” And she raised her eyebrows in that way that people do when they aren’t going to say anything but you know exactly what they are thinking.
“No, I’m serious,” I said. “I would not worry about a single thing.”
The eyebrows went higher.
From Porn Star to Painter
Posted by James Altucher on September 21st, 2011 at 3:22 pm, Comments: 0
I had just turned 18 so of course I went to a video store and asked for an X-rated movie. I was old enough. I’m an adult. But…I told the guy…”it had to be something with a good story”. There’s a shame factor. A story somehow was an antibiotic that would cleanse the stigma of porn of all its bad and dirty bacteria.
The porn industry is bigger than traditional Hollywood for a reason. Because we are basic animals at heart. We enjoy sex. We enjoy thinking about it (supposedly a man thinks about it every 1.2 seconds on average. Not sure what magician of science came up with that statistic.). We objectify, and we then fantasize across the entire spectrum over what is considered “normal” and what only stays in the realm of fantasy.
20 Careers in a Row Didn’t Work Out For Me
Posted by James Altucher on September 21st, 2011 at 8:53 am, Comments: 0
Don’t be so disappointed in yourself. It didn’t work out. Lots of things don’t.
Ist grade: I ONLY wanted to be a member of the “Legion of Super Heroes”, a team of 30th century teenage comic book heroes all from different planets. I felt bad for them. Often they felt lonely because they were all from different planets and even looked funny but they stuck together as a team of friends and some of them (Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad) even got married. It wouldn’t be so bad to be part of their team. I was only six so I figured there must be some way I could apply myself and be a part of their team.
Nine Ways to Break All The Rules!
Posted by James Altucher on September 18th, 2011 at 7:15 pm, Comments: 0
“You can’t do that,” my parents told me. I had just gotten back from my 9 to 5 job. I was 17 and still a senior in high school. I had gotten a job as a telemarketer selling newspaper subscriptions. I had beaten out two African-American women who had a ton of experience for the job. Nobody asked me my age (17, senior in high school), qualifications (none), resume (what’s that), social security number (huh?), or how I would do this job while attending high school (I hadn’t thought ahead that far). Looking back on it there must’ve been some racism involved in me getting that job.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Ep 109: The Tim Ferriss Experiment Revealed
- HOW TO BECOME A JEDI KNIGHT
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making