Archive for January, 2012
Self-Publishing Your Own Book is the New Business Card
Posted by James Altucher on January 30th, 2012 at 8:08 am, Comments: 0
If you’ve just given someone your business card then you failed. If you have a business card you might be about to fail. Nobody cares what’s on it. I throw out all business cards.
I’ve written before about self-publishing but more than the “why” and “how” (although I add more info about this below than I previously have) this post is why YOU NEED to self-publish if you are in business, a blogger, a writer, or in any profession (essentially all professions) where you want to stand out versus the competition. There is one window, right now, where you have the right combination of “easy to do”, “cheap”, and “nobody is doing it”. The key is the Era of Validation is over. Nobody needs to pick you. You pick yourself.
I Don’t Know Anything
Posted by James Altucher on January 29th, 2012 at 8:04 am, Comments: 0
I really messed up and I’m ashamed of it. A lot of people wrote articles saying bad things about me over the past two years. I’ve written about some of them here and I’ve given them too much attention. And some of them I’ve thankfully ignored.
Someone wrote an article a few weeks ago criticizing badly something I’ve said. In doing so he proceeded to have his fun in every way and then other commenters joined in.
So, who cares?
My problem is this: I responded. I went into the comments and I said “this” and “that” and tried to defend myself, etc.
The 10 Keys To Selling Anything
Posted by James Altucher on January 26th, 2012 at 7:42 am, Comments: 0
Someone I don’t know at all just wrote me with the worst selling technique of all time. He wrote, “I really need to talk to you. Can I have 20-30 minutes of your time?”
The answer is, “no”. Not that I think I’m so great. Or my time is so valuable. But his message sort of suggests that my time is worth zero. He is offering me nothing, even less of nothing since there’s opportunity cost to 20 to 30 minutes of time. I could be watching half an episode of “Mad Men”, for instanace.
Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Fifth Grade
Posted by James Altucher on January 25th, 2012 at 7:37 am, Comments: 0
I knew the page number of every sex scene in Judy Blume’s book “Forever”. I was like an X-Man in the fifth grade and this was my mutant power. I knew the page numbers of sex scenes in all sorts of books: “Don’t Say Yes When You Want to Say No”, a pop psychology book at the time, was one of my favorites. “Candy” by Terry Southern, another quality sex book for me in fifth grade. “Boys and Girls Together” (by William Goldman), “Couples” (by Updike), “Looking for Mr. Goodbar”, “Wifey” (also by Judy Blume) and so on.
Yoga has Shamed Me
Posted by James Altucher on January 23rd, 2012 at 7:22 pm, Comments: 0
“Ok,” I said, “I’ll take 50 of these.” It was about $1 for the 50. On the back of the pills it clearly stated “FOR SALE ONLY WITH A PRESCRIPTION FROM A REGISTERED MEDICAL PRACTITIONER”.
I had no prescription. I had just gone to a random store. They sold cookies also. They sold me the 50 pills. Asked if I wanted more. They showed me prescription strength ibuprofen. I took 100. Another dollar.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?