Kindness and the Sexual Mating of Ideas
- Posted by James Altucher
In the early 90s I loved the Richard Linklater movie, “Slackers”. First the camera would follow one guy along who was basically doing nothing, then follow the next guy or girl that the first guy spoke to, and so on, never going back to a prior character. It created this very visceral emotional effect of “slacking off”. So the medium, as they say, was the message. Because there was no other message: the movie was plotless and none of the characters did anything.
Some organization called “life vest” mated the Slackers shooting concept with a Matisyahu song and then mated that with the 4000 year old concept that if people were simply kind to each other, the world would be a better place.
I posted this on my Facebook blog page and a reader made the comment that the danger is living in a fairy tale land since, in general, people are not kind. This is true. But my view is totally selfish. I like being kind. Because I know when I Give, I Receive. It happens all the time that way. Plus I feel good. Just like when I watch the below video that is the result of this vigorous sexual mating activity among ideas.
Below the video I have some quotes on kindness that I like:
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.
The Dalai Lama
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other — it doesn’t matter who it is — and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them
And, if you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend:
10 Things to Do When They Don’t Call Back”
blog comments powered by Disqus
Click here for the book
Top Rated Posts
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- Why and How I Self-Published a Book
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
- WHY I’M NOT RUNNING FOR CONGRESS
- Claudia is Worried I Will Be Killed for Posting This
- How to Be King of the World
- It Was Incredibly Difficult Week For Me
- Nobody Has Ever Made This Offer Before: I Am Paying People Back If They Read My Book
- Why Do Anything?
- THERE’S NO PAINLESS WAY TO KILL YOURSELF
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- HOW TO QUIT YOUR JOB
- The Benefits of Self-Publishing
- YOU EVER GO TOTALLY CRAZY?
- Destroy Your Masters!
- FEARLESS BLOGGING
- How To Be a Superhero
- Two Stories About Google We Can All Learn From
- How to be Rich – THE PUSH