Kindness and the Sexual Mating of Ideas
- Posted by James Altucher
In the early 90s I loved the Richard Linklater movie, “Slackers”. First the camera would follow one guy along who was basically doing nothing, then follow the next guy or girl that the first guy spoke to, and so on, never going back to a prior character. It created this very visceral emotional effect of “slacking off”. So the medium, as they say, was the message. Because there was no other message: the movie was plotless and none of the characters did anything.
Some organization called “life vest” mated the Slackers shooting concept with a Matisyahu song and then mated that with the 4000 year old concept that if people were simply kind to each other, the world would be a better place.
I posted this on my Facebook blog page and a reader made the comment that the danger is living in a fairy tale land since, in general, people are not kind. This is true. But my view is totally selfish. I like being kind. Because I know when I Give, I Receive. It happens all the time that way. Plus I feel good. Just like when I watch the below video that is the result of this vigorous sexual mating activity among ideas.
Below the video I have some quotes on kindness that I like:
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.
The Dalai Lama
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other — it doesn’t matter who it is — and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them
And, if you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend:
10 Things to Do When They Don’t Call Back”
blog comments powered by Disqus
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life