- Posted by James Altucher
Nobody in the entire photo is looking at the photo within the photo of the dead hero, the poor woman’s missing son. Last Memorial Day I wrote a post “Name Me a War That Was Worth It”. My belief is that 60 year olds should never send 18 year olds to be killed. Of course the 18 year olds are heroes. Nobody disputes that.
And of course the government convinces them and lies to them that they are killing others, killing civilians, killing other 18 year olds, killing and maiming each other, all for a good cause.
It’s never for a good cause and for every single war you can always trace it back to who is making the most money. Back to the Civil War (the North wanted its share of the Southern cotton tariffs) and even back to the Revolutionary War (the myth of “taxation without representation” and now, 240 years later, I am taxed Federal, State, City, Sales, Luxury, Property, and god knows how many other places.)
But I wrote that post and put it here and also on the most pro-peace site I could find. I never got so many hate-comments. Most of them came from the pro-peace site. In general, people talk their good theories, but when you touch the chord of hate inside of them, that’s when their real crap comes out. And it stinks.
In the above photo, everyone is looking at the returning hero. Even the mother who is holding up the picture of her son, the hero who died in the war, desperately hoping that someone has seen him. Not a single person is looking at the photo of the dead 18 year old. The real heroes are forgotten. The real histories are made up mythologies. The “good” reasons always hide the real reasons.
The above photo is a picture within a picture. It’s a photo for all of us, where we live our lives being fooled and hypnotized, while searching for the real heroes who might lie dormant inside of us. We mostly die without ever finding them.
blog comments powered by Disqus
If you click here to Pre-Order, you get 3 Free GIfts, including "The Choose Yourself Stories"
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
- How to Persuade Anyone of Anything in Ten Seconds
- 10 WAYS I CONQUER MY ANGER
- 10 REGRETS YOU CAN AVOID
- Ice-T, The Power of No, and the Mindset of Success – My Podcast with ICE-T
- Do You Have Your Plan B?
- 10 REGRETS YOU CAN AVOID
- The Only Rules You Need to Know
- The Ultimate Guide for Becoming an Idea Machine
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet to Become a Great Negotiator
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet For Investing All of Your Money
- What Happened to All the Laughter?
- HOW TO USE HEROIN LEGALLY
- The One Thing I Remind Myself of All Day
- Love Is….
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet For Dealing With Excuses
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet for Dealing With Haters