Archive for May, 2012
How A Waiter’s Pad Saved My Life
Posted by James Altucher on May 23rd, 2012 at 10:37 pm, Comments: 0
The other day during my Twitter Q&A someone asked me why I use a waiter’s pad to write down ideas instead of a small notepad. I didn’t give the complete answer. Now I will.
Before the waiter pad, I had lost all my dignity. It was taken from me. I had taken it from myself. There was a hole. And the hole was filled with misery, depression, embarrassment, anxiety, shame, self-hatred, suicide, fear, pain, pain, PAIN. I was isolated, disgraced, and in HELL. I couldn’t climb out. It was a hole and only bad things filled it and I was all alone.
What Disguises Do You Wear?
Posted by James Altucher on May 22nd, 2012 at 8:14 am, Comments: 0
The guy dressed as a construction worker was begging me for money. It was 5am and I was on the corner of Wall Street and Broad. To my left was the New York Stock Exchange and in front of me were the steps where George Washington took his oath of office. Policemen with dogs were patrolling.
The guy had a hard hat on, looked dirty as if he had been working day and night in the holes and underground ecosystem that powers NYC with its wires, its sewage, its steam, its electricity. “C’mon guy,” he said, “my buddies left and now I just need $10 to get back to Staten Island because my wife is sick and I have to skip my shift this morning.”
I Want To Do This
Posted by James Altucher on May 21st, 2012 at 11:43 am, Comments: 0
It’s raining outside. I’m 44 years old so sometimes I get the feeling there are things I will never do with my body. But it’s a pleasure to watch. When I was a kid I was really into breakdancing. More recently, the past 2 years, I’ve been into yoga.
So it’s a beautiful break from a rainy day when I can watch an amazing artist do both at the same time.
[if you don't see above embedded video, click here]
Ask James: Facebook, Small Talk, God, Friendships, Productivity, and More!
Posted by James Altucher on May 21st, 2012 at 6:36 am, Comments: 0
[This is part of the expanded answers to my Twitter Q&A I do every Thursday from 330-430. I will have other answers in smaller blog posts. If you like these Twitter Q&A posts, please Facebook Like so I get a sense of how useful (or fun) they are. Thanks. And please provide additional answers for people in the comments. I am sure that will be appreciated.]
HOW TO GET BETTER AT SMALL TALK?
John D. Lloyd @johndlloyd: socializing/networking: i don’t follow pro sports and don’t always want to talk about work. suggestions?
Can We Change Our Lives?
Posted by James Altucher on May 20th, 2012 at 10:55 am, Comments: 0
[This question came from my Twitter Q&A last Thursday. These Q&A posts are getting so big I'm going to start rolling them out in smaller pieces. If you like them, please Facebook Like above, or Follow me on Twitter and join me for the next Q&A, every Thursday from 330-430 EST. ALSO, if you have more answers for the question below, please put them in the comments. For instance, how have you changed your life for the better?]
CAN WE CHANGE OUR LIFE
Emeric Caron @CaEmeric: hey James, a little question. I work in a bank that I hate, do you think we can change our lives for the better?
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader
- OK. One Quote from Robin Williams
- The Worst Interview EVER. What I Learned From It.
- What’s It Like to Lose $100,000,000 at Facebook