Archive for June, 2012
How to Win at Three Card Monte
Posted by James Altucher on June 29th, 2012 at 1:28 pm, Comments: 0
I couldn’t believe I was about to make 50 dollars. I was only 12 years old. Robert and I were standing on the corner of 45th and Broadway, right near Times Square. The guy had his cardboard table with three card son it. “Where’s the Queen?” “Where’s the Queen?” He was flipping the cards back and forth, every now and then lifting one up to show us the queen. One girl said, “I know where it is!” and she threw down $5 and he lifted up the card and it was a Jack. “Damn!” she said. Another guy pointed to a card, “its that one.” The guy doing the cards said, “that’s right,” and he turned over the queen, “but you didn’t bet.” The guy who pointed turned to me and said, “Ugh, I could’ve won twenty dollars.”
How To Deal With Crappy People, PART TWO
Posted by James Altucher on June 27th, 2012 at 12:14 pm, Comments: 0
I hate you and I never even met you. That’s my gut reaction when I open my eyes in the morning. That gut reaction is sent out into the cosmic psychic layer of the planet to seven billion people. Trust me when I say stuff like that. Claudia even snores in reaction when it happens. I have to summon back the demons or it would be too overwhelming. It’s no easy job to hate everyone. To judge constantly. To see people on the street and know all the ways they’re going to be crappy to me so I better hide in my room.
The Choose Yourself Era – How to Get 100,000 Facebook Fans
Posted by James Altucher on June 26th, 2012 at 11:17 am, Comments: 0
I was talking to head of a major media company the other day and he was telling me he was worried some of the writers working for him have too large a following on Twitter or Facebook and so, consequently, are asking for higher salaries. This is the “Choose Yourself” era where everyone becomes a one-man media company now. You can’t trust the corporate world to coddle you, take care of you, give you raises for performance, praise your blogs or ideas, promote you, etc. Even when I published a book with a major media company, as opposed to self-pubish, they were reluctant to tweet about my book because I wasn’t big enough.
Multi-tasking Will Kill You
Posted by James Altucher on June 23rd, 2012 at 10:16 am, Comments: 0
I owe you an apology. If I’ve spoken on the phone with you at any point in the past four or five years then there’s a decent chance (75%) that I was playing chess online at the same time. I’m sort of embarrassed if you are reading this. But I wanted to come clean. Maybe by confessing I’ll stop doing this bad behavior.
There’s two aspects of that last sentence. “Bad behavior” – is it really? And “by confessing I’ll stop”. I don’t know if I’ll really stop. It’s an addiction. I can’t help myself. If I even hear the sound of my phone ringing I reach for the mouse and start clicking on the chessboard after a game starts up.
How To Make a Billion Dollar Company From Scratch
Posted by James Altucher on June 22nd, 2012 at 9:21 am, Comments: 0
This blog is not about money. Or entrepreneurship. Sometimes people ask me what I blog about and I have no good answer. The best I can come up with is “ways to be happy”. You don’t need money to be happy. But the Universe is creative. It created us. And like our “father”, we feel the need to create. The best way to create is to be aligned with the same forces that fashioned us. Else, our creations get distorted, ugly, and ultimately fail. To be physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually healthy is the key to any success you want. This is a story about health.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life