Archive for August, 2012
What I Am Grateful For
Posted by James Altucher on August 31st, 2012 at 8:49 am, Comments: 0
About a week ago I wrote in a newsletter that I was grateful for my daughter’s nightmares and I explained why. I then asked the readers to do me a favor. I’ve been trying to differentiate the newsletters by giving specific exercises that I think would be interesting. So after divulging my fetish on my daughter’s nightmares I asked the reader for one simple thing: tell me in a paragraph (or two or three) what you are most grateful for in life.
Ask James: Moving up the Career Ladder, Marijuana, Ambition, The Presidency, Cramer, and More
Posted by James Altucher on August 29th, 2012 at 9:05 am, Comments: 0
SHOULD YOU BE YOURSELF?
Tania Hew @taniahew: Interested in your take on advice to be yourself when seeking leadership roles/new jobs.
Everyone puts on a mask when they wake up in the morning. They have different masks for different occasions. I have my father mask, my partner mask, my lover mask, my friend mask. My work mask. Most of the time those masks wear down. Over time, we become more comfortable being ourselves. On a first date we wear our best clothes. We smile. We spend money. We ask questions and then we ask the person to clarify. Six months later we are sitting around in our underwear watching football on TV next to the girlfriends we reeled in. “What, honey? Did you say something?”
Ask James: Failure, Success, Facebook, and How to Survive Your Darkest Moments
Posted by James Altucher on August 27th, 2012 at 8:47 am, Comments: 0
[This week’s Q&A was so big I am dividing it into two parts. Today is part 1. To participate in the next Q&A please join me on Twitter on Thursday from 330-430PM EST]
HOW DO YOU GET COMFORTABLE WITH FAILURE?
Joel Englander @JoelEnglander: How do you get comfortable with failure?
Let’s define failure: you pick a goal, take a number of steps to make that goal, and somehow the goal doesn’t happen. And it feels really really bad.
Is that failure?
No, not at all.
Failure is when you then say, “Shit! I failed.”
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Mediocre People
Posted by James Altucher on August 24th, 2012 at 10:05 am, Comments: 0
I’m pretty mediocre. I’m ashamed to admit it. I’m not even being sarcastic or self-deprecating. I’ve never done anything that stands out as, “whoah! This guy made it into outerspace! Or…this guy has a best selling novel! Or…if only Google had thought of this!” I’ve had some successes and some failures (well-documented here) but never reached any of the goals I had initially set. Always slipped off along the way, off the yellow brick road, into the wilderness.
The Ten Ways I Lie
Posted by James Altucher on August 22nd, 2012 at 9:19 am, Comments: 0
I lied to my kids this weekend. I told them I had a fun time with them when really I didn’t. They were brats. I lied to my parents all the time when I was a kid. I lied to clients, colleagues, bosses, employees.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?