Archive for October, 2012
7 Things I Learned from Hurricane Sandy
Posted by James Altucher on October 31st, 2012 at 5:24 pm, Comments: 0
Let’s clean up some myths first: Hurricane Sandy is not good for the economy. People in the media always claim hurricanes are good because of the rebuilding. This is bullshit. Yes, people will be buying new furniture, etc. But if it were good for the economy I’d come and smash your house every other month and that would be even better for the economy. So that’s wrong. It’s never good to destroy hard-earned resources.
Steve Wynn and the Lost Diamonds of Africa
Posted by James Altucher on October 26th, 2012 at 9:14 am, Comments: 0
You know the movie I’m talking about. It starts off in some African village. Always in Africa. Women are doing the laundry. Men are either sitting around or doing some hard work with a rusty wrench. Kids are playing around a hose that wiggles its way through the only dirt street like a snake. Maybe someone is picking something in a field. Then we hear a rumble. Everyone looks up. People start running but somehow they all end up in the middle of the street, exactly the point they were supposed to be running away from. Soldiers of some sort, ranging in age from 12 to 25, come up in jeeps, horses, maybe little tanks, they swarm through the village. It’s a big surprise. Nobody expected the soldiers there. The soldiers themselves seem surprised at their luck.
What You Can Do If You Are a Nobody
Posted by James Altucher on October 24th, 2012 at 10:23 am, Comments: 0
[an expanded answer from last week's Twitter Q&A]
CAN A NOBODY WRITE A BOOK?
Fonzi @fonzib: Do you think it’s a waste of time for a spare nobody to write a book about their life so far?
I’m sorry you think you are a nobody. There’s seven billion or so people on this planet. We are all nobodies looking to escape the gravitational pull of the rock we are living on. We all want to be someone. The thing is, it’s a myth that we are a nobody. We can give ourselves permission right now to escape that gravitational pull.
Why I Won’t Vote
Posted by James Altucher on October 22nd, 2012 at 9:17 am, Comments: 0
I was asked this during my last Twitter Q&A:
Bryan M. Smith @bryanmsmith: Who are you voting for in the election & why?
Answer: I don’t vote. I won’t vote. I have no political anti-establishment reason for not voting. I’m not an anarchist. I just don’t see why I should vote. A vote is a choice between two elaborate theatrical productions. It’s a choice between the aesthetics of Star Wars versus Indiana Jones. It’s a vote to see which artist more cleverly evokes our mythological and unconscious responses to the perilous world around us. We all die but “hope and change” properly demonstrated gives us a signal that our choices can help society live forever, that the small stain we leave behind has a chance of survival even after we are long dead.
No Wonder He Hated Me
Posted by James Altucher on October 19th, 2012 at 3:40 pm, Comments: 0
I used to think Mark was an idiot. He was a former managing director at CS First Boston and then we were partners at venture capital fund from 2000-2001. We were horrible, maybe the worst investors in history. I can’t blame it on market conditions (the Internet Bubble collapsed) although I often do. I’m going to stop doing that. I know now it’s when times are most difficult that the most opportunities exist. But I didn’t know that then. Instead I thought I was just simply a genius then. Which I wasn’t.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader
- OK. One Quote from Robin Williams