Archive for October, 2012
Six Things I Learned From Mick Jagger
Posted by James Altucher on October 17th, 2012 at 11:23 am, Comments: 0
My kids don’t know who the Rolling Stones are. They don’t care either. And why should they? Setting aside the common argument every generation makes with the generation after it (“our music is better than yours”) what can distinguish Mick Jagger from, say, Selena Gomez, who they admire? Or Adele? Or any of the other “musicians” that they could listen to all day long (after covering their ears if I play any music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s.)
Here’s what I get curious about:
How To Break Free From Prison
Posted by James Altucher on October 15th, 2012 at 3:03 pm, Comments: 0
I was scared when I left the corporate job for the first time. I was even more scared when I was thrown out of graduate school and had to explain why to my parents. When I was first separated and then divorced I was ashamed to tell people about it. When I lost all my money in just one summer and went totally broke and forced to sell my home I was so embarrassed that I even lied to people who asked why my home was being listed. I would say, “that must be a mistake”, even though I had to have signed a contract and everyone knew that. People would smirk.
How To Become An Idea Machine
Posted by James Altucher on October 11th, 2012 at 9:02 am, Comments: 0
Kelly Francis @KellyFrancisLaw: How do you know when you’re thinking too big or aiming too high (if that’s even possible)?
In the mid-90s I had an idea that lasted about the amount of time it takes to drink two beers. I say this because I had the idea at a bar and it was quickly squashed by the two friends I was with.
How to Deal With Burnout, Get Rich Quick Schemes, Stage Fright, and Brain Explosion
Posted by James Altucher on October 9th, 2012 at 8:58 am, Comments: 0
[Some expanded answers from my regular Thursday Twitter Q&A session]
HOW TO DEAL WITH BURNOUT?
Lemuel Goltiao @suburbandude: Any advice for someone who’s experiencing burnout?
I have to confess something. I am feeling a little bit of burnout. I’ve been doing this blog for a little more than two years. I probably write, on average, 3000 words a day seven days a week. If I am not done with my 3000 words by 9am I start to feel a little bit tense (it doesn’t happen often but it happens). I’ve published 464 posts. Five I’ve had to delete for various reasons after I published them. So 459 posts are published averaging about 2000 words each. 136 posts are in my Drafts folder because I didn’t think they were good enough to publish.
How To Diversify Your Life
Posted by James Altucher on October 4th, 2012 at 3:14 pm, Comments: 0
One time I wanted to sell my company to HBO. The CFO was looking at the numbers. They were willing to buy it for a tiny amount but it was an amount that would’ve taken me about one billion years to save because that’s just the way I roll. I figured I would quit after a decent amount of time and spend a year doing nothing but writing a novel.
They said no.
All I had been thinking about for months was whether or not they would buy the company. And it took only one or two decision makers to say no. To ruin my life, I thought then.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader