Archive for November, 2012
My First Customer Is Now Dead
Posted by James Altucher on November 28th, 2012 at 9:17 am, Comments: 0
I was lonely and I wanted money. I was living in a one bedroom apartment in Astoria, Queens, NYC in 1995. I knew nobody in the area. I would write my phone number on two dollar bills and tip waitresses with them. Nobody called me. Everyone in Astoria is Greek. And they pretty much stick to themselves.
Nobody would talk to me. I would walk for miles in Astoria hoping that just one person would talk to me.
Why “50 Shades of Grey” Is Great Literature
Posted by James Altucher on November 26th, 2012 at 9:07 am, Comments: 0
I got an erection this morning while reading 50 Shades of Grey by EL James, the newest nominated book for the National Book Award. I can’t help it. She speaks to me.
Everyone is very upset. Even angry. I’ve seen about five blog posts already this morning that have cried out that “great literature” is now officially dead because of EL James (born “Erika Leonard”) reaching heights of either marketing or recognition that they can never hope for.
How To Change, What are My Economic Views, How To Meet Your Heroes, and More
Posted by James Altucher on November 21st, 2012 at 8:47 am, Comments: 0
WHY DO YOU NOT CHANGE EVEN IF YOU NEED TO?
cassidysummers @cassidysummers: Why, even if you know you need to change, can one not change?
It was time for me to pee on my boss’s desk. When I took the job two years earlier I was told, “the only way to get fired is to pee on your boss’s desk”. I had to go the bathroom. His office was right there. I wanted a reason to get the hell out of there. Why couldn’t I pee on his desk?
What Should You Accomplish In Life?
Posted by James Altucher on November 19th, 2012 at 9:00 am, Comments: 0
[In my twitter Q&A, Ben asked:]
Ben Yu @Intenex: What do you want to accomplish with your life / why are you living?
My 10 year old daughter and I sat down to watch “Shark Tank” last night. I made a joke. Something like, “and the sixth shark is ME!” Because, of course, I wanted to brag and lie in front of a ten year old who could care less.
At the beginning of Shark Tank they mention that all five of the “judges” (Mark Cuban, etc) are “filthy rich”.
The Four Golden Keys to Art and Happiness
Posted by James Altucher on November 15th, 2012 at 9:21 am, Comments: 0
The last time I had seen her she was doing crack, trying to offer me some, and rambling to an imaginary dead brother through a broken television screen in the hotel room I had just paid for. She had beautiful brown curls and dreadlocks going down half her body. I was debating what I could do. It was in 1995. I got scared and left. At that moment, I felt like I was in over my head. Like I was swimming but I didn’t know which direction the air was. It took a long time for to breathe in the air and when I did, I squandered it. But that was then.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- HOW TO BECOME A JEDI KNIGHT
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You