Archive for June, 2013
FIVE QUOTES TO MAKE YOUR BS DETECTOR BETTER
Posted by James Altucher on June 28th, 2013 at 8:57 am, Comments: 0
I’m on a war against bullshit.
Not other people’s bullshit. That war is unwinnable. Everyone lives in their own private bullshitorium and they will never leave it even to say “hello” to you.
But my own bullshit. I can’t stand when I’m thinking or saying something and then I realize, “I just lost the battle against my own bullshit, ONCE AGAIN”.
Here’s five quotes that help me win the battle, at least with myself.
–“There’s always a good reason and there’s always a real reason.”
Everything is Funny All the Time
Posted by James Altucher on June 25th, 2013 at 10:11 am, Comments: 0
One time my neighbor said, “you have to come in and meet my boss. He can put up to a hundred million dollars into your fund.”
So we went into town and met his boss. We spoke for quite a bit. I felt like I was impressing the boss. Maybe this would be a new mentor for me. I felt happy.
He was the largest hedge fund manager in the world.
Then the boss said, “James, I like you. If you ever want to work here, we’d hire you. But we can’t put money into your fund.”
It’s Ten Times Harder to Come Back
Posted by James Altucher on June 20th, 2013 at 9:04 am, Comments: 0
One day I was so scared, I couldn’t get out of bed. I felt empty because everything I had ever worked for and ever wished for had gotten me to this point: lying on a mattress with no job, no money, no friends or family.
But I wasn’t scared about the past. I was scared because I knew that as hard as it is to get successful and then fall apart, it is ten times harder to come back from such a shattering.
WHY I’M NOT RUNNING FOR CONGRESS
Posted by James Altucher on June 17th, 2013 at 9:28 am, Comments: 0
This week I was going to announce I was running for Congress. I was taking it very seriously and for the past three months this was the week I was planning on announcing.
I had hired people to run the campaign. I had gotten great advice. I had studied the current incumbent in my district. I had spoken to party officials in BOTH parties who were receptive. I had spoken to local reporters who were going to cover it.
I was even going through the process of being endorsed by a major national politician. I learned a lot. What I learned convinced me I couldn’t run and still be true to my values.
Claudia is Worried I Will Be Killed for Posting This
Posted by James Altucher on June 13th, 2013 at 8:50 am, Comments: 0
I stopped a ten million dollar robbery last week.
For various reasons, including Claudia is slightly worried I could get killed, I am changing all of the names. All of the other details are intact.
A few weeks ago, a guy claiming to be related to Middle Eastern royalty, (call him “M”), had a representative (a friend of a friend of a friend) call me and ask me if I knew anyone who would lend M ten million dollars.
“He has collateral,” the rep said: “$25 million in restricted shares of [well known private Internet company].“
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- HOW TO BECOME A JEDI KNIGHT
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You