Archive for July, 2013
HOW TO AVOID DEATH
Posted by James Altucher on July 30th, 2013 at 9:19 am, Comments: 0
My dad got depressed and would cry in the shopping store, cry at parent teacher conferences, cry while playing chess with me, cry at work, cry all the time.
He started a company in 1970 and it went public in, I think, 1984. The day it went public he was worth 5 million dollars on paper. About a year or so later he was worth zero and the company went bankrupt.
My parents bought a house but then couldn’t pay for it so it was only half built.
How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
Posted by James Altucher on July 25th, 2013 at 9:17 am, Comments: 0
[a slightly revised version of an article I published last week on TechCrunch]
My most recent book, “Choose Yourself!” sold 53,000 copies since it’s release on June 3 [update December 30 – just hit over 100,000 copies], hit the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list, was No. 1 on Amazon for all non-fiction books for a few days and is still flirting with No. 1 in its various categories. This post is about what I did differently, why I did it differently, and how I think anyone can do this to self-publish a bestseller. I describe all the numbers, who I hired and why, and how I made the various choices I did.
Living the Counterfeit Life
Posted by James Altucher on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:44 am, Comments: 0
Alex would print up fake 5 and 10 dollar bills on his copy machine and spend them in local delis.
“They check hundred dollar bills for counterfeit but not ten dollar bills,” he told me.
Alex had a high end printing business. He’d make posters, brochures, ads. He had the best copy machines in the world.
10 employees worked for him. This was over 20 years ago. I set up his servers so I read everyone’s emails.
One time one of his designers wrote an email to the secretary and said, “I can’t wait to taste your strawberry buttercup tonight.”
HOW TO BE AN ULTIMATE FIGHTER
Posted by James Altucher on July 18th, 2013 at 8:47 am, Comments: 0
“This tube you see coming out of me is directly connected with my heart and pumps liquid into it, faking my heart into thinking it’s ok.”
The driver was talking to Brian and me. He had picked us up from the golf club where we had been playing hall-of-fame football player Dan Marino in golf. We had to leave before the dinner so we took a car service to get back to the city.
I saw the tube sticking out of the driver’s side and asked if he was ok.
The answer was no.
How To Create Your Fantasy Life
Posted by James Altucher on July 16th, 2013 at 8:53 am, Comments: 0
Imagine if you could write for the top sitcom in America, then write movies in Hollywood, and actually make a ton of money doing it.
That sounds like fun, right? Sounds like you would kill to have a dream job like that.
Only Matt Berry did the exact opposite of that. He wrote 12 episodes of Married with Children. Wrote for a bunch of other shows. Even wrote a movie or two. And then gave it all up.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”