Archive for August, 2013
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR FATHER STEALS YOUR IDENTITY
Posted by James Altucher on August 30th, 2013 at 8:50 am, Comments: 0
A friend of mine just became the victim of serious identity theft. Someone used her social security info and other identity info to create a series of credit cards over the past seven years.
For the past two years he had stopped paying the bills. Her credit rating fell from 780 to 530.
The man who stole her identity was her father.
She confronted her mother who told her, “Don’t do anything. You will get your father in trouble.”
She spoke to her husband. He said, “It’s no big deal. It’s not like we are buying another house.”
The Ultimate Cheat Sheet to Starting and Running Your Own Business
Posted by James Altucher on August 27th, 2013 at 9:09 am, Comments: 0
[Note: this appeared on TechCrunch this past weekend. ]
This is going be a bullet FAQ on starting a business. No joke. If you’re a lawyer, feel free to disagree with me, so you can charge someone your BS fees to give the same advice. If you can think of anything to add, please do so. I might be missing things. If you want to argue with me, feel free. I might be wrong on any of the items below.
There are many types of business. Depending on your business, some of these won’t apply. All of these questions come from questions I’ve been asked.
Five Things You NEED to Know Before Buying a House
Posted by James Altucher on August 20th, 2013 at 10:24 am, Comments: 0
I hate buying houses. I don’t “hate” many things. But I’ve lost millions of dollars buying houses.
The stress is unbearable when you need to sell. And you have no money when you need it.
It’s a prison. The white picket fence is the prison bars. The bank is the guards looking in. And the need to protect your family keeps you in a solitary confinement of guilt and anxiety and stress.
I won’t give all the reasons. Google “Altucher” and “home ownership”. I wrote about it a few times. Then someone wrote against my arguments and I responded to those. On and on.
THE ONLY THING YOU’LL EVER NEED
Posted by James Altucher on August 15th, 2013 at 8:56 am, Comments: 0
“What can I do that would make you happy?” the doctor said.
“The only thing is if, right now, you write me a check for a million dollars,” I said.
“And you think you’ll be happy then?”
“I KNOW I will be happy then,” I said.
“I don’t think so,” he said. “You’ll find something new to be miserable about.”
“No way,” I said, “that’s all I need.”
But he was right. I always needed something else.
Don’t Go To Jail
Posted by James Altucher on August 13th, 2013 at 9:58 am, Comments: 0
I don’t think any of the prostitutes were above the age of 18. One girl told me she was sixteen. They were all black. The 16 year old was laughing and sort of skipping around while she was talking to me.
They were waiting for the bus to return from Riker’s Island, the prison. This particular bus stop was like a bloody, inflected gash at the bottom of Queens. We were the fleas filling it. The last street at the end of the world.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- The Ten Worst Things You Can Do In A Negotiation
- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE
- DON’T RUN OVER A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!
- 10 Things I Learn From Richard Branson
- What I Learned from my First Podcast Guest in 1980 and What I Learned from My Last Podcast Guest (Yesterday)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making a Personal Manifesto
- What I Learned About Life After Interviewing 80 Highly Successful People
- FAQ ON HOW TO BECOME AN IDEA MACHINE
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life