Archive for September, 2013
Three Stories About Hate
Posted by James Altucher on September 26th, 2013 at 8:45 am, Comments: 0
G wrote me last night:
I find your posts disturbing and troubling, especially considering your influence and reach. You operate at close to genius level; you are one of life’s winners, a product of Cornell and CMU.
But most,if not all, your fan’s are mediocre, and shouldn’t be deluded into thinking they can be like you. A steady pay check, at a non-demanding job,is the most they are entitled too. Stop putting foolish ideas into their head.”
When I was getting a divorce, totally broke, lying on the floor, losing my kids, and debating suicide, it was hard to feel like a winner of life.
THE ULTIMATE COLLEGE CHALLENGE TO FOOL MY KIDS INTO NOT GOING TO COLLEGE
Posted by James Altucher on September 23rd, 2013 at 9:00 am, Comments: 0
I give up. I can’t tell my kids not to go to college. I have tried all the usual statistics:
A) student loan debt you’ll never be able to pay back.
B ) for the first time ever, greater than 50% of the unemployed have college degrees. So that whole myth of “you can’t get a job without a degree” is over
C) you don’t learn anything in college that you can’t learn on your own.
D) you can get a five year head start on your peers if you give up on college.
How the Power of No Saved My Life
Posted by James Altucher on September 17th, 2013 at 9:02 am, Comments: 0
The first girl I dated after separating from my wife asked me what my net worth was on our first date.
I was honest and I told her. She said, “that’s not enough.”
I asked her what her ex was worth but she said, “why do people always ask that.”
Her ex was well known, 20 years older than her (maybe 30), and probably worth over $100 million according to the newspaper.
But there’s a saying (it’s a saying because one person has told it to me but I repeat it everywhere as if I had made it up): “You never know what someone is worth until they declare bankruptcy.”
Creating Wealth Through the Mundane
Posted by James Altucher on September 12th, 2013 at 9:17 am, Comments: 0
Two people wrote to me very upset about my last article. Everyone on the Internet has to be in agreement. OR ELSE!
I had written: “Peace can only come from peaceful people.”
But AK wrote: “Really? Is that what stormed the beach at Normandy? Peaceful people? No. Hard men win wars and bring peace. Men who know how to kick ass. Peace comes from being able to crush your enemies and to hear the lamentation of their women.”
HOW TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE
Posted by James Altucher on September 9th, 2013 at 9:50 am, Comments: 0
Martin Luther King nominated Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967 and he’s a buddhist monk and peace activist.
And when he was standing right in front of me tonight I was blown away by what he said.
We went to an opening for an exhibit of his calligraphy.
He looked like a child. He smiled like a child. He talked like a little boy. It was almost funny to look at.
Here’s some things he either said or drew that I learned from.
How to Do What You Love.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader