The Daily Practice
For a detailed description of what I describe as “The Daily Practice” you can check out my latest book OR, head to this link: How to Be the Luckiest Guy on the Planet in 4 Easy Steps
What is the number one thing you do every day without fail (except sleep and write and eat)
Posted by James Altucher on May 14th, 2012 at 1:52 pm, Comments: 0
James, what is the number one thing you do every day without fail (except sleep and write and eat) –@jfkesq
Without fail, I will always list the things I am grateful for. And I will try to make the list different (additive) each day.
Why? This is the one surefire way to crowd out negative thoughts. For example, people I hate, things I’m anxious about, things I regret, things I wish I were doing. If I stop myself and say, “I’m grateful for X, Y, and Z.” Then tomorrow I’m grateful for “A, B, and C”. Then the next day, “D, E, and F” then I start to build a big list of things that can crowd out the already big list of negative things I can choose to think about.
Is there such a thing as righteous anger? (Example, being outraged at Joe Paterno)
Posted by James Altucher on May 8th, 2012 at 11:02 am, Comments: 0
Is there such a thing as righteous anger? (Example, being outraged at Joe Paterno) –@Theopaulson
Anger and fear are twins out of the same evil womb. “Righteous” anger only dresses it up in pretty clothes.
Example, a lot of the Occupy X crowd (both the protesters and the police) are being fueled by anger. There is over 1,000 documented cases of violence, antisemitism, anger on both sides. Both sides feel righteous.
The USA felt righteous when it invaded Afghanistan. Thousands of civilian (and 18 year old military people) deaths later and ten years later we’re still there. Did our righteous convictions win? Do we feel better now? Is the world safer? Less corrupt?
What is the single most important thing to do today, right now, to move towards a better world?
Posted by James Altucher on May 8th, 2012 at 10:58 am, Comments: 0
What is the single most important thing to do today, right now, to move towards a better world? –@ReadHeavily
I wrote about this in my post “How to Change the World” http://bit.ly/snVZZr and one of the commenters said it best. “Mother Theresa said if everyone swept in front of their house then the end result would be a clean world.”
The thing you can do today to make the world better is to make yourself better. By the end of the day can you look back and check these boxes:
How does one become a faster decision maker while still maintaining the quality of your decision?
Posted by James Altucher on May 8th, 2012 at 10:55 am, Comments: 0
In one of my posts someone said, “you’re always pushing ‘The Daily Practice‘” http://bit.ly/fuiRS9, but the fact is, when I was down on the floor, going broke, losing my home, losing family, losing friends, losing businesses, any number of times over the past 25 years, the only things that’s lifted me up is simultaneously getting physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually healthy.
How many minutes each day do you meditate?
Posted by James Altucher on May 8th, 2012 at 10:54 am, Comments: 0
How many minutes each day do you meditate? –@TodayTrader
The word “meditation” is almost a bad word. Americans don’t like to sit around and do nothing. They also, as a group, don’t like new agey-stuff, or Eastern philosophy or anything that puts a hold on the religious freedom which allows them to work hard, make money, and enjoy the fruits of their success.
But the brain whirs around all day long. It can’t stop: why did she says this? Why did he do that? How much money do I have left? Where can I get a new job? And on and on. What a drag that we are stuck in this constant stream of thoughts, unable to sit by the shore and just watch them go by.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
Older Entries »
- Who Is In Your Scene?
- Ep. 65: Dan Ariely: Dishonesty, Irrationality, and Money
- Ep 64 – Tucker Max: Surprise Announcement! Part 1
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money”
- Ep. 62 – Tony Robbins: Money Is Just A Game
- Ep. 61 – Trip Adler: Overnight Success 7 Years in the Making
- Nothing Is Wrong With You
- Ep. 59 – Brian Koppelman Ruined My Life
- 21 or 22 Yet Even More Amazing Tips to Be a Better Writer
- Ep. 54 – Gabriel Weinberg: The Man Who is Fighting Google
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader