What is the sixth law of power and how important is it?
What is the sixth law of power and how important is it? –@justinjmoses
When I answered this I was, and still am, assuming the question is referring to that book “Power: The 48 Laws of Power.” I don’t like that book. I think many of the “laws” are about building yourself up at the expense of others.
Success is not a zero-sum game; else we would still be back in the dark ages. You are most successful when your one overriding thought is how can I bring the most success to others.
That’s the one law of power that everyone needs.
But, I’ll answer the question: the Sixth Law of Power in the book is to court attention wherever you possibly can.
This is not so bad, relative to some of the other “laws” in the book.
However, you can’t court attention for the sake of courting attention. Everything you do has to provide value. If you write a blog post, if you tweet, if you perform a service, deliver value. Don’t even think of doing something without asking first, “What value am I providing”?
So, for instance, I’m courting attention by compiling this book. By doing the Twitter Q&A’s, by writing blog-posts. I’m trying to court a lot of attention. Some of it is for ego purposes probably. Some of it is so people think of me when potential opportunities arise. I don’t deny I have selfish purposes.
But first and foremost, deliver value. That really should be the sixth law of power. And then, if the value is real and helps people, attention happens automatically.
- How to Self-Publish a Bestseller: Publishing 3.0
- 7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest
- How to Deal With Crappy People
- 10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now!
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
- 33 Unusual Tips to Being a Better Writer
- How to be THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE PLANET in 4 Easy Steps
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs
- 8 Alternatives to College
- I’m Completely Humiliated by Yoga
- How I Screwed Yasser Arafat out of $ 2mm (and lost $ 100mm in the process)
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself”
- Life is Like a Game. Here’s How You Master ANY Game
- Step By Step Guide to Make $10 Million And Then Totally Blow It
- Can You Do One Page a Day?
- The Secrets of Personal Finance
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader
- OK. One Quote from Robin Williams
- The Worst Interview EVER. What I Learned From It.
- What’s It Like to Lose $100,000,000 at Facebook
- “The James Altucher Show” READING LIST (and why)
- How To Go Out At The Top
- The Autobiography of Kissing
- How to Persuade Anyone of Anything in Ten Seconds
- 10 WAYS I CONQUER MY ANGER
- 10 REGRETS YOU CAN AVOID
- Ice-T, The Power of No, and the Mindset of Success – My Podcast with ICE-T